What should I do if my child’s parent doesn’t keep to our child arrangements?

When a child has parents living in separate households, it is really important (when it is safe to do so) to ensure that the child spends quality time with both parents. The position of the Court is that it is generally in a child’s best interests to have a relationship with both of their parents. There are, of course, exceptions to this.

Arguably the best arrangement the parents can have for contact is one they have agreed together. Unfortunately, it is not always the case that the parents can agree and so other options may need to be considered. This is also the case if an agreement has broken down. In the first instance, if possible, it is likely better for the parents to discuss the issues and see if an agreement can be reached. If the parents need assistance, they may find that a mediator could help come to this agreement.

If you do not have an agreed schedule of contact and you cannot reach an agreement with your ex, you could make an application for a Child Arrangements Order. The Order will regulate with whom a child is to live with and spend time with. It will then be up to the Court to decide what is in the child’s best interests. If there is already a Court Order in place, and one party doesn’t keep to the Order, then an application for enforcement may need to be considered.

If you would like advice on family matters, including children matters, please contact our Danielle in our Family Team on 01243 790532 or email daniellechandler@owenkennny.co.uk<mailto:daniellechandler@owenkennny.co.uk>

This blog is for information purposes only and should not be interpreted as legal advice.