Do I need to stick to contact arrangements with my ex?

Trying to agree a schedule of contact  for your children with an ex-partner can be a difficult task at the best of times so we understand that the current pandemic is causing a huge strain on families.

The guidance is that where there is a court order in place in respect of contact arrangements or contact is agreed informally, then this should continue if it is safe to do so. Parents are encouraged to communicate with each other to adhere to government guidance about hand washing and staying at home.

It is possible to vary a court order by agreement, therefore if the current court ordered arrangements are not working because of the social restrictions then both parties can agree in writing to vary this for the time being. If it is safe and practical to continue as per the court order then the government guidance is that children can travel between households here their parents are separated.

If you do not currently have an agreed schedule of contact and your ex is not co-operating then you could make an application for a Child Arrangements Order. The order will regulate with whom a child is to live and spend time with. Every family has different circumstances and the order will be decided on what is n the best interests of the child or children.

If you would like advice on Child Arrangement Orders or how to try and reach an agreement with an ex-partner regarding the care of your children please contact the family team on 01243 790532 or email