Can I transfer my house to my children now to avoid cars home fees or tax in the future?

If you transfer your home into your children’s name and continue to live in it rent free then it will be classed as a Gift with Reservation of Benefit. Therefore, HMRC may still include it in your estate for Inheritance Tax purposes.

Giving away your assets when there is a strong likelihood that you will require some extra help with your care is called a Deprivation of Assets. The Local Authority may investigate this and the care costs may transfer to your children.